Presented in handy flow-chart format, one-page summaries of the NICE clinical guidelines on the management of ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease can be found online and in the September print edition of intelog.
Focusing on the aspects of treatment relevant to primary care, the summaries cover:
- Advice to be given to patients, including cancer risk and potential side-effects of treatment
- Induction and maintenance treatment with corticosteroids and aminosalicylates
- Referral to secondary care for treatment with immunosuppressants and biologics
- Referral for surgery and post-surgical treatment
- Recommended monitoring, including colonoscopy and fracture risk
Both adults and children/young people are covered by the guidance.